Skip to main content

DJ says: "Let's play[list]!"

I, Darby Jean Koogler, have been given the name Darby Jean by my parents: Paul and Katie Leatherwood. They made me DJ. I blame them. Bless them.

There are a number of posts I would like to share, but they are in draft form. Many of you will not read this (if you don't want to, as said before: STOP!), and a couple of you (dear Katies in my life--you know who you are!--and one has been revealed in the paragraph above) have encouraged me to write and post more. So, here I go. No promises. No schedules. Not perfect. Likely some type-Os,  grammatical errors, misspellings, and what-have-you too, ya'll! Just me, a screen and a few thoughts.

 HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

 It's Thanksgiving in Dubai and I'm getting ready to pick up the kids from (British--that's why they don't have Thanksgiving off, don't worry, I gave them candy corn and I put a Thanksgiving note in their lunches today) school in about 1 hour.

 What is going on? How do: DJ, playing, and Thanksgiving connect here, right now, in this-here post?

 DJs gotta play! Mix tapes were fun. Also, standing by the radio to press "record" (or record and play simultaneously) when that song played over the airwaves (to transfer those waves to hard copy) was fun. That way, we could listen over and over again once it was recorded--as long as the DJ didn't talk too much over the intro or fade out. On another note: recall Napster and its little cat face?

Growing up listening to Psalty and Colby with my sister @ home and in the car was fun! Also, we loved The Beatles (and a little James Taylor, Carly Simon, Michael Card, Phil Keggy, Sting and Michelle Tumes along with lots of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart...) that our parents played--those songs were on cassette tape--many were on cassette because our Dad had recorded them from records. Reading all the (tiny and folded inside the plastic sleeve) lyrics and listening to an entire album was sacred. That is an experience I haven't had in a long time...

Music is important. Most people like music. That must be why we ask, "What are you listening to?" or, "What is your favorite kind of music?" Instead of, closed and simple, "Do you like music?" It is presumed that most people enjoy music. We've moved from recording from the radio and records to customized playlists; the modern mix tape.

When our first child was born about 10 years ago, my sister made her a gorgeous CD.
 It included:

 Night in That Land, Nightnoise
My Child, Plumb
Clarie de Lune, Claude Debussy
Wrong Turn, Jack Johnson
Watermark, Enya
Conolation No. 3, Franz Liszt
You'll Be in My Heart, Phil Collins
A Day Without Rain, Enya
A New Day Has Come, Celine Dion
Prelude No. 1, Johann Sebastian Bach
Blackbird, Sarah McLachlan
Shepher Moons, Enya
Lullabye (Goodnight my Angel), Billy Joel
Minuet from Orpheo, Christopher Willibald Von Gluck
The Four Seasons (Winter), Antonio Vivaldi
Lovely, Michelle Tumes
Stay Awake, Julie Andrews

This was a playlist that gave back as my sister recently gave birth and I was able to remind her of it--and thank her again for it. I've added on over the past decade (take it or leave it, varying lyrics, varying meanings (some were not written from a parental perspective), many different ARTists...:

 I Loved her First, Heartland
Slow Down, Nichole Nordeman
Just the Two of Us, Will Smith
Never Grow Up, Taylor Swift
18 Summers (feat. Drew Weeks), Dillon Chase
Father and Daughter, Paul Simon
With You, Chris Brown
Cinderella, Steven Curtis Chapman
The One You Need, Shane and Shane
Daughters, Jenny Reynolds
Daughter, Crystal Lewis
My Girl, The Temptations
Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy), John Lennon
The Magic Kid, Hayes Carll
Dare You to Move, Switchfoot
Your Song, Elton John
Little Guy, Gord Bamford
When You Dream, Barenaked Ladies
The Day (That You Gave Me A Son), Babyface
Blessed, Elton John
With Arms Wide Open, Creed
In My Arms, Plumb
You're Gonna Miss This, Trace Adkins
 Priceless, For King and Country

 Feeling very appreciative of my family of origin, thank you: Mom, Dad, Kat.

 Feeling grateful that I have wonderful in-laws, 2 beautiful nieces (both under one year) and a darling nephew--who is the only person in the world (right now) that calls me, "Aunt Darby." I LOVE being his aunt and being called by that name!

Feeling incredibly thankful and blessed by my little family: husband, daughter, and son! And, our extended family through  Fellowship of the Emirates and Dubai.

 On a different (and smaller--people hold much more value than these things) scale I am thankful for: music, playlists, and art. And that's how this DJ strings: Thanksgiving, playlists, and family together.

What songs would you add to a Mom and/or Dad's playlist? Comments and ideas appreciated.

P.S. I am very excited that I bought cranberries yesterday because for me, it was a hunt! Speaking of cranberries, remember The Cranberries?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Another Arabian Night..."

It's been too many "Arabian Nights" since I posted last because I am beginning to forget things. Before we launch into Arabian Nights, here are a few more Northwest memories (above): one last Woods (Coffee) stop, a 15 passenger van that was lent to us and my parents drove back for us (sooooo blessed), and leis @ SeaTac from our sweet Coral-Mom-Grmie :) (yes, the "a" is gone from Gramie). Here is a list of amazing Arabian things we've experienced (we've been here THREE weeks, like three wishes, "count 'em: one, two, three!"): 21: L lost his front, top tooth! 20: @ Mall of the Emirates we watched a special Chinese dragon and monkey dance (it's the year of the monkey--Happy Chinese New Year, ya'll!) 19: visited with our future landlord @ his home, and he gave the kids soda and ice cream Mars bars 18: attended a garage sale and was given some SCREAMING deals to help set up our villa ('fridge, stove/oven, washer, etc.) 1

Risky

Silence on this blog for years. At the risk of sounding cliche, this puppy needs some updating. Hesitation creeps in because I don't want to risk sounding self-absorbed & narcissistic (I perused some old blog posts and man, does the writing seem egotistical). It seems that some of it was unintentional--as a good friend observed: women tend to take up "posturing" around one another. I am sorry for my offenses and God is still working on me. I am also sorry for all of my immaturity, America. I am sorry for words I should not have said, attitudes I should not have had, and, things that I should not have done. Thank you friends and family for helping me, loving me in spite of my short-comings, and providing a place for growth. I am not a professional writer, nor am I a professional photographer. This blog is for family and friends. And, even if you are part of the family or a friend, please do not read this if you don't care, and/or if you don't like t

I'm Dreaming of Snow...and Christmas

About the time that Facebook blew up with snowy pictures and I viewed the lovely, glowy branches that were marshmallow covered with snow in my parents' back yard, I had a dream: I was sledding in Whatcom County with a friend (you know who you are!)--no kids ('twas a dream!). Atop the dream hill, I shared my heart (I was thinking of Dubai and our 1st Christmas here and said,), "It doesn't feel like Christmas."  My kind-hearted friend heard me, smiled, and gently replied, "It's about Jesus." Truth! While we were in darkness, he lighted the way for us to see God and live in a relationship with him. " The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; those who dwelt in a land of deep darkness, on them has light shone."  Isaiah 9:2 That feels like Christmas to me!  In snow or sand--his light shines and he is with us. Merry Christmas!